PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2023, 19:31
langleybaston

Received 746 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by SLXOwft
LB my ratio included all ships and boats which are either HM Ship or HM Submarine.

In the July 1916 Navy List, on the active list there were 92 Flag Officers (AofF 3, A 12, VA 23, RA 54 (some of whom were acting VA)) - 2 RAs had been KIA in May 1916. Incidently Commodore was a command post not a rank until 1997. There were 644 vessels listed as Ships of the RN, RAN and RCN (Battleships 67, Battle Cruisers 7, Cruisers 40, Light Cruisers 89, Monitors 36, Patrol Boats 11, Depot Ships for Torpedo Craft (not listed as cruisers) 16, Sloops 69, Flotilla Leaders 10 and Torpedo Boat Destroyers 299) which give a FO to HMS ratio of 0.14 which is 7 ships per admiral. There were lots of other vessels but I were I to spend any longer on this the DWO (a distant cousin of whom was one of the 92 and one of the reasons she is, when vexed, given to implying she married beneath her station) would have me keelhauled.

Back to the present - I have to say 50% at high readiness is impressive IMHO.
Thank you very much ........ I am surprised but facts are facts. Yes I knew about commodores ......... similar status to brigadier [long before "stars" were fashionable]. The RAF appear to have jumped straight in with air commodore. As an aside to an aside, were I a wing commander I would campaign for a little scrambled egg, but here again the history explains why not.