PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 crash due to Jack Stall...
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2023, 13:15
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
It is also worth noting that the W-Wind Mk7 RRPM was normally 207,whereas the Mk9/10/12 was normally 219-220,and also had the `beefed-up` dinner-plate` rotating swashplate,and Vne95 kts..!

In fact ,I think that the WW Mk3 we had at B-D, RRPM was normally 203...

During my early Gazelle flights at Marignane ,as Project pilot,we flew early `development` Gazelles,which had stiffer fuselages,only 2doors,and no /small roof transparencies,solid u/c,low skids,and short-backed seats.During `tactical ALAT `Spectrum` flying(flight envelope) ,at `jack-stall` in both left and right turns,the aircraft would roll back towards level flight,in a `self-righting manner.
Sometime later,myself and my CEV ALAT Pilot were requested to fly new mods,as these had to be `Joint` agreements.The hyd system had been modified,and different `jacks` fitted to a different airframe,also ,more plastic roof panels and side doors. So,`orf we went to `explore the envelope,and soon found that hard rolling and pulling produced the expected roll towards level in left hand turns at the jack-stall,to an initial `eye-watering` further roll in right hand turns,The cockpit was full of the usual expletives,both in French ,and English,until control was returned to normal.!! Further investigations into why the jacks had been changed was never fully explained by SNIAS/A`spatiael, just a `c`est la vie`...However,it was fully agreed that,whilst not `dangerous`,handling at the point of jack-stall,had to be fully explained in the Flight Manual ,and fully demonstrated on aircraft conversion,...at a safe height...!