PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Life Crisis...should I?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2023, 04:03
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
I've said it before, and it's worth repeating here - be extremely careful about turning a 'hobby' into a 'job'.

I've seen it many, many times on the railway, where the train buff wants to drive the big noisy train, and after a few years, they're gone, because they don't like the shiftwork, they don't like the missed family gatherings, or it simply isn't what they thought it was going to be. I've been flying off and on since I was in my teens - I'm now in my 40's but I saw the writing on the wall nearly 20 years ago and gave away any thought of flying professionally when I left Ronny - and I haven't regretted it for a second. Yes, I could have followed through with it and would probably have been a narrow-body skipper now, but I don't care about that missed opportunity one iota. I've still got a good job in an industry you have to work in to actually experience, it has an awesome roster, decent paycheck and that's been enough to pay off the mortgage, fund the kids private school fees and pay for my toys, including building an RV-9 that I fly for fun.

That's what flying is meant to be, for me. Not 0200 starts and taking your shoes off just to get to the jet to fly a 4 sector day with a Captain who has the personality of a fencepost. If I CBF'd flying this week, who cares? The plane stays in the hangar and I watch the club's students flying their circuits from my backyard. IF Mini-Me want's to go for a lap around the patch after school on a sunset junket, we walk over to the hangar, preflight the RV and go! You'll lose that flexibility if you do pursue a career in aviation.

That being said, age isn't a barrier, and in many instances can be seen as an asset to a potential employer as you've got some life experiences behind you. Just be sure it's something you want to do as a career, not just for fun. If it is, fill ya boots!