PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2023, 03:58
WetCompass

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by junior.VH-LFA
The PIC was an ex Roulette and CFS instructor, I suspect his knowledge of how to assess an aircraft’s airworthiness post trading paint might just be more than your own, or mine for that matter. I think you’re probably being a bit naive in thinking that he didn’t assess how the aircraft was handling and make a decision armed with all the information available that would achieve a safe outcome.
Yeah, nah.
How does the pilot sitting in the command seat assess the damage to the wing-spar, or tail section? Do you recall the Embry-Riddle Uni PA-28R that lost a wing during circuits? That flight had an examiner on board, he couldn't tell a fatigue crack was about to break. Why do we attribute super-human abilities of x-ray vision to pilots?

Fact of the matter is, the PIC of DQJ was concerned about something, but never actually stated the nature of his concern on the radio apart from mentioning something late in the flight about the runway needing inspection after landing. The wing had struck another aeroplane and the extent of the damage to the airframe was unknown at the time. There was a suitable airport available that did not require overflying built up areas for a landing and it was not offered up as an alternative by ATC and we don't know yet if it was considered by the crew. But there was mention of Moorabbin by ATC. Why? Well, we'll find out. But for now, not a criticism of the aircrew or ATC, but could we do better if it was us? Well I think so, but we need to think about it clearly on the ground before we embark on our next flight.