PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The effect of cumulative helicopter flight time on the human body
Old 24th Nov 2023, 12:50
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Peter,

Bell Helicopters would not want me on the Jury deciding that case!

I would leave them wearing the proverbial wooden barrel for clothing.

Early in my flying I wound up herding Chinooks around per very long flying days that averaged 8-10 flying hours daily and anyone that has been inside the cockpit of one KNOWS NOISE generated by the Forward Transmission that is just above your head. Can you say "deaf"?

Being around two former Chinook pilots having a conversation is an interesting experience as there are about three or four conversations going between them as neither can hear with any clarity. We say "Huh" a lot!

The Chinook seat was pretty good...it had vertical and fore/aft adjustment plus tilt, the pedals were adjustable, and the cyclic could be adjusted but rarely was for some technical reasons. Vibration could be an issue and a well worn forward Swash Plate could generate a rather pronounced vertical bounce. If the Thrust Lever (Collective) mag brake failed or got weak....that also presented serious vertical bounce. So we lost our High Freq hearing very quickly due to the frequency of the transmission whine, our necks, backs, and hips took a lot of wear and tear. Various helicopters seats were better than others but not one outside the Chinook seat ever came close to being properly fit for purpose.

Long Line Pilots really have back and neck problems if they do that kind of flying for any long period of time due to the posture you have to use to see what your line is doing.

As Peter noted.....12,500 hours and two hip replacements later, back problems, my right shoulder needs surgery but I am John Wayne'ing it and refusing the surgery so far, arthritis in my back, neck and shoulders.

Then for good measure there are the Agent Orange related gifts that keep on giving.....but I am still kicking....not very high but kicking yet.

The burns and bullet wound were part of the deal too but only as flying put me in the wrong place at the right time.

For the record, Demon Rum has never crossed my lips.....am still looking for that brand but no luck yet.

For a yarn.....years ago while stood with my Chief Pilot at one of the places I worked....we observed one of our older pilots whose last name was "Knotts" walking out to his helicopter for the days work.....he had undergone several back and neck surgeries and walked all bent over forwards to the extent he had to raise his head to see ahead.....which gained him the nickname of "90" as his posture was similar to the pitch attitude of a Huey at that speed. The CP quipped....."If he does. not straighten up I am going to run him off!".
The following 2 users liked this post by SASless: