PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2023, 11:28
helispotter

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
PURE speculation at it's finest, however this may answer your question as to how one aircraft can sustain minor damage and the other becomes uncontrollable. How can you end up so close? Once you add some bank angle in there on one or both aircraft, things go bad very quickly..

So Squawk, realising you are speculating, are you suggesting aircraft on left would get a larger upsetting yaw moment on impact (due to contact at wing tip) sending it out of control while other maintains stable flight?

I notice ATSB summary makes reference to "formation manoeuvres" and some footage on TV also showed this before the accident, but what is to say at a later stage they were not doing simulated dogfight manoeuvres as I thought the website was indicating was offered on the regular package. The track of DQJ was certainly showing quite tight turns over the bay that I couldn't imagine would still be while in formation(?)

Afterthought: The orbits of DQJ could of course have been after the collision with pilots looking for the downed aircraft?