PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The effect of cumulative helicopter flight time on the human body
Old 24th Nov 2023, 09:16
nikoel

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
After 15,000 hrs, mostly in hand-flown, unstabilised choppers, I have some problems. Helicopter seats, particularly the B206, have zero adjustment, so there is almost no way to get into a really good position for a flight. In the Hueys as well, there is a large coaming over the instrument panel (keeps sunlight off the instruments, stops them reflecting in the windscreen at night) which requires the head to be held high. But the collective is set low down, so we slump into the seat and lean to the left to hold it. Slumped down, leaning over, head held up with a helmet on top (not a lot of noise attenuation in those days either), bounced up and down at 1:1 frequency for thousands of hours, and most Huey pilots have lower back and neck problems.

I have 3 lumbar vertebrae fused together by themselves, and the same in my neck. Uncomfortable to bend over or turn my head more than 45 degrees. Arthritis in my hands and knees add to the joys of still walking the planet. The Dept of Veterans Affairs acknowledges the back, neck and hearing problems, and pays me barely enough to buy a carton of Boag's anaesthetic each fortnight, which takes some of the discomfort away.
I am sorry to hear this. I can only say that I concur. When manufacturers designed those helicopters, they didn't consider seating positions, comfort, basic understanding of ergonomics or bloodflow let alone act upon these considerations. I imagine the conversation by the designers went as far as 'What do you mean this "L" seat with minimal padding, sharp 90-degree corners, and no lumbar support is uncomfortable? Blasphemy, here are the most convenient positions for these controls, use this Pry-Bar to contort the pesky pilots, if they complain use the secondary feature of the said Pry-Bar"

Bell (and many others) should be tried in The Hague for the tortures they have inflicted on pilots worldwide. When found guilty, the punishment should be life strapped inside a Bell 206, suspended on four washing machines stuffed with blankets, on continuous spin-to-rinse cycles

This won't help you Charlie, but to anyone else reading who wants to get ahead of this issues before they catch up to you. When you're at the gym, at the end of the session do 3-4 sets of face-pull exercises. It both stretches the front and tightens the rear shoulders/back and is one of the most effective exercises in correcting the helicopter pilot hunchback
The following users liked this post: