PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 22:51
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by junior.VH-LFA
Have you actually seen the photo of the aircraft in question?

I think you blokes are working pretty hard to find problems with something that was well handled. Anyone who knows BD will know he'd have considered the options and picked what was best on the balance of how the aircraft was handling and the other domestic considerations (including fuel state) - I am sure there was likely a cockpit discussion occuring between both highly experienced occupents as well. The aeroplane recovered safely at Essendon, a good outcome - for them at least.
It is unfortunate that pilots like to eat their own.

This crew just had a pretty traumatic event, yet successfully, professionally and safely recovered their own aeroplane.

We have proof of that, because the aeroplane is parked up and the crew are helping with the investigation.

They are lots of really good learning points for new pilots in just listening to BD during his recovery. Anyone can be taught to fly an aeroplane with enough time. But not everyone can leave a traumatic event behind and concentrate on flying the aeroplane home. That's what BD did. I hope if I ever experience an adverse event I am able to step up and perform as well as this crew.

To those that seem to know better, take a step back, drop the ego for a bit, and put yourself in this crews shoes. They know the aeroplane well, as they fly it towards the edges of its envelope. They have many years of practice in higher performance aeroplanes. This isn't their first rodeo. The PIC is flying the aeroplane, he feels any vibration hears any noise can see any damage.He knows how the aeroplane is performing. He knows his fuel state. He is in a far better position to make any decision. And we have proof his decision was good enough. And that's all that is needed.

I hope that both crew members are doing well. Its never easy to loose mates.
The following 3 users liked this post by donpizmeov: