PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 22:37
heretolearn

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WetCompass

In FUTURE midairs, if pilots are unsure of the extent of the damage to their aircraft, they should declare a Mayday and consider alternative airports available other than just home base. That goes for ATC as well, perhaps they should suggest alternatives.
Wet compass. It might be time to take a breath.

Do you know he didn't consider other airports?
Have you seen the damage to the returned aircraft? I have - No one here (with experience) would have had any issues carrying the problem to any airport in the Melbourne basin.
I've seen planes with hangar rash that look similar. I'd be willing to bet the damage caused no affect on how it flew. I'd also be willing to bet if handling was an issue, the nearest AD would have been sought.

Look into the difference between suitable and nearest. Certain scenarios dictate the second option, but not many.

Tracking coastal was wise.

He also had the added benefit of a vastly experienced aviator as PAX - extra eyes and ears. From both their seated positions I'd estimate they could see most of the damage and correctly assessed the problem could be carried.

Asking for a runway inspection was smart in case the landing knocked off any FOD.

I cant make any comment on their operation as a whole, but from the publicly available information, I can only hope to handle an emergency with the same level of calm and professionalism.
The following 4 users liked this post by heretolearn: