PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Impounding airliners at British airports
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 15:32
dixi188

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
At Bournemouth when Metropolitan Airways went bust, a legal type person showed up to put liens on two SD3-30s, (both ex Genair). He said they had to be nailed to the mast. Rather than use nails they were stuck to the doors with tape.
Another occasion when a DanAir BAC 1-11 diverted in due to fog at Gatwick, the airport manager saw that it was an ex Airways Cymru aircraft that owed money and rushed to impound it. DanAir weren't bothered as it was at the end of the lease. About a week later it flew out to Lasham.
Further back when Courtline went under, my father was involved in recovering all the 1-11s to bournemouth. BAC's HS125 was shuttling back and forth to Luton with the pilots and my father was pre-flighting the aircraft for the ferry flights. Courtline's hangar, (66?), had a lein on the door and chains to stop the doors being opened. A 1-11 was inside but the legal people decided the lein was for the hangar and not the aircraft inside so bolt croppers were used to open the doors and the aircraft was towed out and flown away. I think it was 8 aircraft recovered in one day.