PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flydubai Vs EK
Thread: Flydubai Vs EK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 13:35
MoreDaysOffPlease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m not sure if there is much of a debate in the medium term since FZ isn’t hiring DECs. As far as I’m aware there is still a reasonable hold pool of DECs that were advised they could be swimming for a while until they get a call up…if at all. That’s not to say there won’t be a need in the future if the expansion exceeds the capabilities to upgrade. But in the medium term they seem to have plenty of qualified FOs to upgrade, a number which will increase dramatically next year once the huge influx of experienced FOs that were hired post pandemic meet the length of service requirements to apply.

Attrition within FZ is much greater within the FO pool than the Captains pool. I think it was anticipated that a huge number of Captains would leave to the US when they relaxed their visa requirements for pilots but that hasn’t happened yet. Point is, if the ME is your goal any time soon it would probably be better to apply to EK and get your seniority going.

Back to the question, you’ll make marginally more as an FZ Captain over an EK FO if you take the whole package into consideration including provident fund. That’s if you’re not forced into EK accommodation. If you are, you’ll make more cash as an FZ skipper IF you choose a small place out in the desert somewhere. If you need a villa then you’ll probably use your entire allowance from FZ for something half decent with todays prices. If that’s the case you’d be better off with EK in a 4 bed place in Meydan.

if it’s not all about money I’d say more people are happy at FZ with regards to the job of flying. 4-6 months of the year you can get the stuff you bid for. Roster flexibility is probably better and the flying is probably more enjoyable and challenging than what you’d see at EK.

Long term however there is no question that you will be far better off financially at EK. I mean there is absolutely no comparison. The disparity between an EK Captain and FZ Captains wages is enormous. Do 15 years at EK and you’re probably looking at a 7 figure USD difference.