PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra wants more women in Aviation careers
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 04:31
flyingkea

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread reminds me of that old joke about why are women paid less than men?
A: Because of the jobs they keep choosing! Female doctor, female computer engineer, female pilot etc...

My kids are old enough to be in school, yet my career is still being stalled. I have been told, to my face, that a particular company was not going to hire me because I had a kid. Who at the time was over a year old. Yet they had absolutely no qualms hiring my partner, when said kid was less than a month old. This was for a flying job where so long as you got the work done, you could basically set your own hours. (Instructing at a big school.) I managed to get an instructing gig when my second was 5 months old, and was told they would only consider full time, but would do 9-5 rostering. They lied. A lot of aviation is outside of daycare/oshc hours, so one of us had to make it work - pretty much always me. While family friendly work is difficult to find in aviation, it does exist, but you gotta operate with good faith.

Net result - my career is a good 8/9 years behind my partners, and honestly? It didn't need to be.

I'll not go into my current employment issues, as it's ongoing, but let's just say it is ultra ****ty atm, and I'm at the point where I just keep banging my head against the wall. How many times do I need to be screwed over before it gets too much? All I want is a fair go, and I'm not even getting that at the moment.
The following 4 users liked this post by flyingkea: