PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automated Autorotation landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2023, 11:27
Simply_Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Agile
Helicopters without governors (AKA Hugues 300...) now FADEC controlled engine, is it a double edge sword?, not really as long as the new system that replaces the former pilot task is designed in a way that is so reliable that the former core skill will never be required again.
Will it remove some of the flying fun, yes, just as it is more fun to drive a stick shift car than a CVT transmission.
I guess the hardest part to surender will be the "the ability to take over and hand fly when needed" like you said.
but it will probably come once we can qualify it like the rest of it.
I think you are right and one day in the future those former core skills will never be required again....I guess that will pretty much leave us on the sidelines as the automation becomes so good that no pilots are needed at all. I am doubtful that will happen in our careers....at least probably not in the 10 years or so that I have left....unless they learn how to reverse ageing too by then! At least my CVT transmission still has paddle shifters and through some magic, I can still (sort of) shift like a stick shift....haha. Cheers.