PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy 50th Birthday Bulldog XX553, ULAS '07' and welcome Bulldog XX552, ULAS '08'
Old 20th Nov 2023, 18:10
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
Doggers over didders

Well, in fairness, the latter was more like 'don't get CAUGHT dogfighting near Didcot…'.
The weather during CFS week at Benson in (I think) 1992, was pretty good - certainly Phase 5!

One day most of the last sorties of the day were student solos, with the strict warning that they had to land by 17:00 or the civvy engineers would invoke overtime payment rules. All was going well and there was but one dual sortie airborne too, which happened to be with a CFS 'trapper'. At around 16:45, chum Trev and I were monitoring the radio in our office checking that the solos were on their way back. But Approach announce to a couple of them to "Hold off, the circuit is full!".

Trev and I looked at each other and said "What do you reckon?". After 5 or so minutes the final 2 were cleared to join...

When they came into the Ops Room, Trev simply said "All right - which one of you started it?". They fell for this and there was a bit of "Well sir, he turned in on me.....". We thought nothing more of it until the CFS chap appeared and asked "Who was authorised for formation on the last wave?". Err, no-one actually! "I thought not, tell them that there is a code...well no, actually there isn't. Just give them a bit of firm advice please chaps!".

We thought that would be that, but it got to the ears of the Boss (not 'Boss Hog', his successor) who was within a whisker of booting them off the squadron. So Trev and I went in to see him and told him that they were about the only 2 students of that year with any real fighter pilot promise and to bin them would be a travesty. Fortunately he accepted our views and they both did very well in future years!

All's well that ends well!
The following users liked this post: