PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2023, 17:14
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And surely easyJet didn't "double their costs" when they finally set up at MAN after years at LPL?
EasyJet didn't actually set up a base at MAN. They gained one overnight by virtue of taking over GB Airways which had an established operation at MAN.

In other news I've heared Easyjet will have 30 aircraft based at MAN and want to set up their own engineering Base.
Interesting. Are you able to advise a timescale for this proposed expansion? Thanks.

Well, this conversation has moved on apace since I last checked in. Healthy debate on here is good to see. I can't comment on the implications of bilateral treaty restrictions or lack of them ... I'll leave that to those more familiar with the situation. But returning to the United Airlines discussion, I would make a couple of points. Exchange rates have indeed favoured US travellers bound for Europe in the post-covid era, and carriers have allocated resources accordingly. However, the notion that this should preclude any consideration of restoring service to MAN is moot. UK-domiciled travellers are still flying - just at a reduced volume than was previously the case. Likewise business travel - it is down, not gone completely. MAN does also suit those US-domiciled VFR passengers with roots in the North of England. That combination still adds up to a significant pool of customers. Less than pre-covid, yes, but since available seat capacity between MAN and the USA was down by 50-60% versus S19 during S23, that reduction in latent demand is more than accounted for. MAN does not need to be United's top performer in Europe. It just needs to be comfortably esconced amidst the top 38 ... and I contend that it will be, given a chance. The routes team need to be all over that, promoting the case for MAN and reminding UAL execs of their historic route performance which they can readily verify inhouse. If there is truth in the suggestion that a rift has developed between MAG and United execs over some unfortunate past conversations, it is up to MAG to offer an olive branch now and smooth things over. A sales tour of the US carriers featuring Mr Woodroofe would be an excellent idea at this juncture. If United (for one) do return, that will be a financial win-win for both parties.

On the parallel discussion concerning Jet2 ops, it will be illuminating to examine their capacity proposals for MAN S24 versus MAN S23 once the delayed ACL report emerges. I'm expecting little ambition from TUI - anything beyond 'as you were' will be a bonus; Ryanair's proposed numbers will be fascinating - just how boxed in are they at T3 now? EasyJet will make for interesting reading too. I sincerely hope that MAG is not telling any of these carriers that additional based units cannot be accommodated in the numbers requested. 🤞