PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufty at SFO
Thread: Lufty at SFO
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2023, 12:10
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NoelEvans
The runways at LHR are too close (just!) for parallel approaches, so you won't get parallel approaches there. (If any 'appear' to be parallel, that is simply for other operational 'convenience' but the spacing will still be the same as if on the same approach.) The runways at LHR are about twice as far apart as those at SFO?

Approaches into LHR are on the ILS. Even when I flew into there in a Cessna 310 (with an 'Ambulance' callsign!) in CAVOK during the early morning 'rush', it was an ILS approach. I have flown into there many times in a 'regional jet' and every approach in all conditions was an ILS. Yes, there can be some holding and if I remember correctly, LHR required that 20 mins holding fuel should be available even if 'no delays' were expected. Why doesn't SFO stipulate the same?

I have also flown many approaches into AMS (before and after the new 'Voor Politieke Bedoel' -- the ILS ident! -- runway!) at all times of the day (and night!). It was always an ILS unless a visual approach was offered to us for our convenience (with us being 'considered local' operators) and all those that I remember were in good visibility and daytime.

(The controllers at LHR and AMS are the best that I have worked with.)

From what I read on here, SFO appears to be 'a large GA airfield' that has big airliners flying into it!
SFO and LHR/AMS aren't really comparable.

Parallel runway separation: SFO: 750' LRH: 4600' (about 6 X the distance) AMS: Practically separate airports.

I can see how from reading some of this that SFO seems like a "big GA airport with airliners flying into it but it's really not.

Although the 757's are the largest allowed, for the sake of PPRuNe its good they don't have Int'l flights into DCA. Someone might have to fly the River Visual rwy 19 then comment about the maneuvering while skirting a couple prohibited areas along the way. If this SFO thing is an indicator, the ensuing uproar would melt this website down within 24 hours.