PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L-29 crash at Argentine Airshow 12/11/23
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2023, 10:51
Dr Jekyll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
Maybe it would be the right thing to think about what these displays are good for? Showing off by individuals? Scare the crowds? Get spectacular pictures for marketing or news? Show aircraft outside of their normal envelope?
These mostly are veteran aircraft and sometimes veteran pilots, some not with military background and not current like say flight instructors on type. The airframes can be old and fatigued and engines limited or just too precious to risk crashing (well, not an L-29).
From my point of view it would be wiser to limit displays to more moderate manoeuvres like takeoff and landings low flybys fast and slow and some moderate turns. Even during their day many military types had their limits and risks why trigger extreme manoeuvres today when the same frames are worn out and old? Look how Shuttleworth's Edwardians got so old.
Without wanting to spoil the fun but with so many historic aircraft crashing and lost I'd prefer a more moderate style. This should be made a regulation. If not by the authorities then by the insurers. I know somebody privately owning (and keeping) a Mustang and what kind of training and experience the insurance requires before a single pattern.
What examples are there of old aircraft crashing because they are old or 'worn out'? The most common single factor appears to be misjudgement of speed and/or altitude at low level, and this can happen to current military pilots as much as anyone else. EG The Mountain Home Thunderbirds crash.