PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too close for comfort - easyJet lands with 18m fuel
Old 19th Nov 2023, 09:45
70 Mustang

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps...

A captain's adherence to the flight plan fuel depends upon their experience and who, at various stages of their career progression, they are hoping to impress. If brought up in an airline where tight SOP adherence results in rapid upgrades and "brownie points" one can expect to see a semi-religious following of flight plan fuel. Until one day, or night, all goes south and they suddenly "see the light" that no one else can help after the fuel is gone and they then see the wisdom of carrying extra fuel and the futility in trusting in the luck they had had until that event. after it happens again, even after taking some extra fuel, they then see that a bit more will not hurt.

I learned before I left piston aircraft that min fuel can kill after learning that my instrument instructor had been talked into making a flight without taking on some extra fuel, did not make the short flight from Anchorage International to Merrill Field, a flight "planned" for about 5 minutes flight time.

No chief pilot, nor the many tea and biscuits meetings i was called to, ever motivated me take only flight plan fuel. I always added more. Like one mentioned above, I looked more at landing weight limits than most.