PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2023, 21:29
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
Very interesting comparisons, I'm pleased that you posted it. I'm totally with you regarding Virgin not needing Gatwick to grow especially after looking at those statistics. I'm sure your agree with me when say that I can't honestly see Virgin reappearing at Gatwick. No lounge, no staff, no hangar, no slots (more than likely), no gate availability, and last but not least, no need to. 😉

The only connection Virgin will probably have with Gatwick in the future is the training centre. But then again that could easily be relocated at some point closer to Heathrow.
I think you're spot on with this Sotonsean. Sadly I think we will need to accept that VS' time at LGW has happened and is now in the past As you point out, there is no longer any "VS infrastructure" here at Gatwick that they could readily use, with all signs of their former base now having been removed (the ClubHouse being one example). A shame given Virgin Atlantic's long history with London Gatwick, the original home base of the airline. However, whilst we may never see VS return to Gatwick, I do agree with you wholeheartedly that LGW's best days lie ahead of it, and that includes new carriers coming to the airport in years ahead, as well as further expansion from existing airlines. For instance, I am sure that BA will increase their long haul programme as further 777s make their way to LGW from LHR. Further long haul may also come from carriers in Asia and the Middle East.