PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2023, 17:12
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a jibe about 'Brevity' your best shot? I expect better from you, Skip.

The reason my post focuses on Transatlantic business is because this and England / Scotland domestic are the two outstanding areas of weak performance in MAN's post-covid portfolio. One addresses weaknesses where they arise.

PIA have been quite open in confirming that they aim to resume MAN services when safety authorisations permit. That process will take as long as it takes. It is regrettable that the Jet Airways schedule has not been backfilled following that carrier's demise, but the issue dates back well beyond covid. Virgin Atlantic plans to serve Pakistan and India from MAN were curtailed by the need to redeploy B789's to safeguard valuable LHR slots. These issues are out of MAG's hands.

Eastbound long-haul has generally rebounded strongly at MAN post-covid. Emirates is back 100% with 21/7 A388 services; Qatar will soon be back at 21/7 frequency as well. Etihad is operating one daily rather than two, but using high-capacity B77W equipment. Gulf Air, Saudia and Kuwait Airways are present and growing. EgyptAir is back, Ethiopian adding frequencies and using larger A359 equipment. Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific are on course to reach pre-covid frequencies. Hainan Airlines has a roadmap to reach daily frequencies again. Bangladesh Biman operates 3/7 with the B788. TUI operates eastbound leisure flights serving Goa and cruise destinations. The most notable absentee is Oman Air, but their business model has changed so they may not be back any time soon. In essence, there is no eastbound long-haul capacity crunch at MAN. New services would be welcome - especially to India - but customers can reach there from MAN using the Middle East carriers or Turkish Airlines and Pegasus.

There is no crisis eastbound. Westbound is different. Transatlantic capacity from MAN is down by around 50% since 2019. That is why my comments focus on this market in particular.