PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney Curfew Dispensations Challenged
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2023, 00:21
Lapon

Received 113 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by V333
At least let modern low-noise aircraft land during curfew (with the requirement to limit reverse thrust unless operationally required). The initial 0600 rush could therefore be mostly departing aircraft easing terminal area and airport congestion and reducing noise associated with arrivals.

In any case, SYD airport was there long before the majority of homes and business that encroached upon it over the years.
I agree that the likes of the B787 should be allowed to land after 11pm and I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes to the curfew act over the next decade or two - although the presence of Badgerys might negate the need for change by then anyway.

I'd usually support the 'airport was there first' argument except in the case of YSSY. I'd say most households have moved into the area after the 1995 curfew so they would reasonably expect that to remain, and many of those innerwest properties have existed before the airport itself - certainly since before sealed runways and the jet age.