PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVTOL news and progress - do we need a new dedicated section?
Old 15th Nov 2023, 11:42
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrewgr2
Most of the reports I’ve read seem to suggest that their promotors think they will operate as autonomous air taxis in urban environments That would be new!
Its not new per se. Just a progression of the UAM concept which started decades ago and has since been included under the newer concept of AAM and RAM. Plenty of references out there on this if one were interested to check out.

Another reference to read on UAM is on Heli-STAR performed in the 90s which used helicopters to test parts of UAM. It was also the 1st real world test of ADSB technology. But it showed convential helicopters created to much noise and other issues to be used at street level. Regardless the UAM concept was proven which eventually led to a number of large cities developing official UAM plans that some are putting into place right now.

As to range of these eVTOLs, it was never the intent to replace existing aircraft only provide a new mode in areas where conventional aircraft cannot operate. While theres been a generation of nay sayers on this concept for decades it continues to grow and is projected to be a multi-billion doller industry within the next 10 years or so. And with the FAA, EASA, and other CAAs writing new regulations for these ops, its only a matter of time before it literally takes off. China supposedly already certified the 1st eVTOL for commercial flights and it is flying for revenue.

From my view, interesting times ahead, provided they dont start dropping out the sky and making headlines. But I doubt not even that will stop the UAM concept from moving forward.