PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entitlement to wear RAF 'wings'
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2023, 10:53
langleybaston

Received 756 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
In 1965 at Manby we had an SAC (Trade Assistant General) in the Guardroom with wings and a cluster of war medals. Apparently he left the RAF after the war, didn't adapt to civvy life and rejoined as an airman. Occasionally encountered him when doing Orderly Officer duties.
In 1956 [about] there was an airman at RAF Uxbridge [my memory is vague but not useless] who was said to be a wartime VC. I think I was too ignorant to examine rank, flying badge [if any] and medal ribbons, so cannot swear to it, but he did indeed have a great deal of salad spread across his chest and was always pointed out to the newbies. If he had been army he would certainly have been given rank as a corporal. Nice story but I could not stand in the witness box after 67 years.
RAF Uxbridge was home [again memory strains] to the Regiment and the Central Band, also a Main Met. Office. A bit short of aircraft!

As an aside I missed National Service, to my honest regret .......... Met assistants were automatically traded as Met assistants, but my medical history rendered me a bad bet. I was genuinely p$ssed off, being RAF-mad.

No doubt this post will deleted, as most of mine are these days. Be quick or you will miss these enthralling anecdotes.
The following users liked this post: