PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufty at SFO
Thread: Lufty at SFO
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2023, 11:28
Request Orbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Which ATC did, but unfortunately the LH had forgotten to load extra holding fuel for contingencies. They could have committed to SFO, (two runways, good weather), and used their alternate fuel for holding, but if their alternate was Oakland, that would have been very little extra fuel.

And the LH crew's attitude stinks. My guess is the Captain realised they had screwed up the fuel load, but instead of eating humble pie, they tried to bully ATC into holding a lot of other inbound aircraft just to let the LH in. So the LH cost their company a lot of money. Tea and biscuits with the Chief pilot when they get home, no doubt.

SFO ATC 1 : Lufthansa crew 0
The way I heard it the DLH pilot was expecting some delay and didn’t quibble when told 10 mins. From the video timeline, 14 mins later they’ve not had an update and the controller refuses to entertain that “conversation” at all. How is the DLH supposed to know if they have enough holding fuel if the controller can’t(/wont) provide a vaguely accurate delay? Admittedly I’ve only watched the YT video so might have missed relevant transmissions.