PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufty at SFO
Thread: Lufty at SFO
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2023, 09:23
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Presumably the traffic going into SFO are filing IFR flight plans. If SFO cannot offer an instrument approach then maybe they should advise if unable visual to add X minutes of holding fuel. I can see it makes sense to expedite traffic flow when it’s VMC but the problem seems, to me at least, that it is entirely reasonable for an operator to specify no visual approaches at night unless specific rules are in place. Just like foreign operators don’t conduct LAHSO. Similarly the circling protected area is larger under ICAO then TERPS. Different jurisdictions have different standards.

Also, I was under the impression that after the Asiana accident that foreign carriers wouldn’t be expected to fly visual approaches? It would be fascinating to visit NORCAL and understand the challenges they face and equally to impress on them that at the end of a long day asking a crew to maintain separation based on visual acquisition at night isn’t ideal.

Lastly, I think both parties in this particular incident used inappropriate language. We’re on the same side or at least should be!