PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2023, 15:50
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Gone but certainly not forgotten

Originally Posted by Ian Burgess-Barber
Thank you MPN11, good to see that you are still on frequency, and I hope that your Jersey abode did not suffer too much in storm Ciaran (sorry can't find the 'fada' symbol to put over the second letter 'a').

Disclaimer: The 1948 Topcliffe Staff photo is not one of mine. Pace Tim00.

Ian BB

This time of the year is always a sombre, emotive occasion for the millions of us who remember our departed veterans. It is also, in terms of this great thread, the anniversary of Danny 42C, who would have been 102 years old yesterday were he still with us. Over the years many contributors to this unique record of WW2 military aviation matters have listed the qualities that he regularly gifted to all us readers. I concur with all the eulogies, but I also remember his great (sometimes wicked) sense of humour.
With this in mind I hope that he would have been amused by this photo.
His Vultee Vengeance was very similar in size to the Fairey Barracuda Dive Bomber of the Fleet Air Arm, (or 'The Air Branch' as the Sea Lords would have it). Both were 39ft. 9ins. long, VV had 48ft. span, the Barra. a little more, at 49ft 2ins.
So, if he had ever wondered (as you do) how many Matelots would it take to dress either aircraft for a group picture, then the answer is here. By my count, 44 A.B.Sailors are required. (Starboard wing has one more chap than the port wing, hence slight tilt of the aircraft.

Photo taken June 1945 Ronaldsway I.O.M. is of 747 Squadron R.N.A.S. with one of their Barracudas providing support.
My late WRNS mother is 2nd female from left, front row

Ian BB
The following 3 users liked this post by Ian Burgess-Barber: