PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OPTUS Outage
Thread: OPTUS Outage
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2023, 12:30

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I notice one of the main complaints was that "000" calls from mobiles could not be made.
In the years that "000" has been the emergency number, I have called it once.

However, I cannot get any service because my service provider is down I don know that I can call "112" and it will allow my mobile to connect to emergency services using whatever carrier has coverage in my location.
What I don't understand is that every time the complaint "that "000" calls from mobiles could not be made" not one reporter suggested that "112" was an alternate number.
Not only does "112" connect of your provider goes down, it does not need a SIM or a pin to unlock the phone.

112—International standard emergency number

Triple Zero (000) is Australia's primary telephone number to call for assistance in life threatening or time critical emergency situations. Dialling 112 directs you to the same Triple Zero (000) call service and does not give your call priority over Triple Zero (000).

112 is an international standard emergency number which can only be dialled on a digital mobile phone. It is accepted as a secondary international emergency number in some parts of the world, including Australia, and can be dialled in areas of GSM network coverage with the call automatically translated to that country’s emergency number. It does not require a simcard or pin number to make the call, however phone coverage must be available (any carrier) for the call to proceed.

There is no advantage to dialling 112 over Triple Zero (000). Calls to 112 do not go to the head of the queue for emergency services, and it is not true that it is the only number that will work on a mobile phone.

Dialling 112 from a fixed line telephone in Australia (including payphones) will not connect you to the emergency call service as it is only available from digital mobile phones.