PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voip (UK)
Thread: Voip (UK)
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2023, 14:18
papabravowhiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by netstruggler
Are you sure they're going to replace the copper with optical fibre - I haven't read that? I was assuming that those who have copper to the exchange would keep it but it would become data only. I get at least 80MB/s down my copper broadband which is more than enough to support a digital voice call or two.
My understanding agrees with you: if you currently have copper from the cabinet to the premises, that's how it will stay unless you are offered FTTP. The copper wires will simply carry broadband and not phone, and not power, so old unpowered phones will not work. If you are with BT and opt for their "Digital Voice" service then it looks like the only way to use the DV service is via the BT SmartHub 2 (which has a built-in DECT base station and a phone socket): from what I understand, other VOIP boxes won't work with the BT DV system. There's nothing stopping you from simply going to a broadband-only service and using your own VOIP box (with another VOIP provider) or something like a Fritz!Box which provides a DECT base station, plus lots of other capabilities.The Fritz!Box that I used to have also had a media server, a VPN server, a voice-to-mail server (so voicemail messages were converted to mp3 files and forwarded via email), a fax receiver which would forward to email, a SIP Voip system and a NAS.

Regards
PBW