PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calculating slope takeoff distance for C172
Old 9th Nov 2023, 19:13
raptor84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
Page 8 of CAA Safety Sense Leaflet 7 contains reasonable approximations. For some reason FAA has never worried much about any performance figures not in the POH, whilst the UK's CAA has always taken it a lot more seriously. Perhaps due to the much shorter runways we tend to operate from in the UK.G
Thanks for the PDF file link. I think that is useful for what I'm trying to do. I think I have to agree with you regarding the FAA because here in the USA, most airfield have runways longer than say 3,000 ft and the slope gradient for the runway is not above the 1% or at the majority of them anyway. A runway slope of 0.5% (up or down) probably doesn't have much effect on the takeoff distance and in their view, the FAA probably hasn't had to worry much about it. Nevertheless, I think its still important to calculate. Upon reviewing the leaflet, I see that for a wet runway, the takeoff distance doesn't have a factor yet the landing does (10%, 1.10) Am I to presume that the same landing factor can be use for takeoff as well?

Thanks again.