PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2024 HeliOps/Air Attack Calendar Giveaway
Old 9th Nov 2023, 15:23
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
Ned, I flew helos for 16 yrs,from 1964, in the RAF,on Support,SAR,and as a TP,and MTP,,from the smallest,`Skeeter` to a French `Super-Frelon`.Later,after retirement,flew freelance for a number of years until `our age` limits stepped in.So about 4250 hrs in about 26 types.Flew a further 4250 hrs on the C-130 during my later RAF career.However,I always have a soft-spot for the `Gazelle`(see `655 Sdn Retirement thread,p1,#12`),in it`s early development phase,and hope all those who flew it later,felt the same.I had 3 forced-landings in Whirlwinds( 1 t/rotor departure,2 engine-failures),no injuries,a/c repaired)..There is a book by an ex-AAC Pilot`Think like a Bird `,although he flew Beavers and Austers,and later `Lynx`,that is how I think of my helo flying,from a `comfortable` chair...(are there any comfortable helo seats...?) Nowadays I get to fly a C-172 occasionally,but it`s not the `same`..!!
I think the pic of Earl Watters firefighting should be `Picture of the Year`,,a real `cracker`...!
Fly safe out there,guys and gals....