PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Example Rosters (Jet2,Tui, WhizzAir, etc)
Old 9th Nov 2023, 08:17
Flying Wild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apin
Thank you for all the replies, they've certainly given me a lot to think about...

I think I'm as susceptible as anyone to 'grass is always greener' syndrome. The RAF can be a pain in the arse, and we don't get paid anything like the airlines, but I'm in a niche at the moment (which won't last forever, especially with what's going on in the world) where I don't spend much time away, its mostly a 10-4 work day, and pretty much work a 4 day week most of the time. Think I need to do a bit more research and decide what I really value.

The key factor pushing me out is the unknown- it's good at the moment but could quickly devolve into months away at a time, or I could be put in a desk job abroad for at moments notice, or some other equally **** job where I'm not flying or developing my career. Equally it's the fact my time isn't valuable to the RAF - e.g. they'll think nothing of putting an aircraft captain as a door guard for a 16 hour shift, as you're an available body, and I'm getting a bit old for that s###...

I'd still appreciate any more responses with rosters (type, airline, and best/worst months) if anyone has the time- I've only been in 7 years so I don't really have that network of mates at the airlines yet to ask, although it is slowly growing. 4 of my mates all have offers at tui/jet2 so I'll touch base with them in a year or so.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as an average roster.

I'm at Jet2 and have cruised along at 50-60 hours this summer, others have been pushing 80-100 hours. There's no apprent rhyme nor reason. What I will say is that they are actively trying to improve the lifestyle 'attract' piece. The money is nice, but they are working on offering different working patterns (fixed % rosters or fixed pattern, AM/PM preference) as well as other bits and pieces.