PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra wants more women in Aviation careers
Old 9th Nov 2023, 02:12
Clare Prop

Received 242 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by The Love Doctor
An interesting paradox with gender quotas has started rearing its head :
A lot of males who have once had a possible interest in a flying/pilot career (and males traditionally have more of an interest in flying than females) are deciding against it now as it is being heavily promoted as "woman's career" now by airlines in Australia.

Females generally aren't really interested in a flying career anyways and prefer to choose more lucrative paying careers after finding out how little pilots generally earn (compared to other professional careers) and hearing about airline managements poor treatment of pilots.

I discovered this after having a good talk to some of my kids friends (university aged). Both my kids have zero interest in a flying career.

Just an observation
I'm doing some university study and have observed how about 90% of the students - and professors - on the agricultural and vet courses are women. When I studied in the 80s it was the other way round. I wonder if these careers are now seen as "women's work" now that technology has replaced a lot (but not all) of the need for physcial strength? It shows that proportions can change, but I wonder how most of those girls who are no doubt very brainy but look like a puff of wind would blow them away, are going to be able to do some of the stock tasks that are required?