PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASD-B IN – A different perspective on the recent hype
Old 7th Nov 2023, 21:11
ER_BN

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Clinton,

Thanks for your prompt clarification.

The STCA system by its very nature works on conflict pairs and in my previous post I noted I was referring to those STCAs specifically regarding the JQF/AEM pair.

As far as I can tell that is what the ATSB report indicates so we are in agreement.

Not sure what you meant by Perhaps your ‘2’ comes from Figure 13, described as “Recreation of STCA display at 1122:49”, which shows only 2 STCA ‘boxes’?
For tracks under the jurisdiction of the controller, the yellow "box" around the track labels of the two relevant aircraft is part of the TAAATS Eurocat Human Interface (HMI) to highlight the two aircraft and is yet to be acknowledged by the controller. 1 STCA in the circumstances of the MNG accident correctly produces 2 "boxes".

No one should assume that any ATSB graphical "re-creation" accurately aligns with what the controller saw on the TAAATS Eurocat Human Machine Interface.

My feedback to controllers at the time was that the STCA HMI would be displayed from 1122:49 to collision.

On the assumption that this is correct, the ATSB never explains why the STCA system changed the STCA HMI on JQF and AEM's track labels from Acknowledged status back to Unacknowledged status at 1123:51.

It would have been one of the first things I would have determined as part of the technical investigation, and I have done more than one hundred of them.

I have no idea whether that is what really happened or was displayed to the controller. Problems with TAAATS Eurocat Replay! That's the rhinoceros in the room!

And we haven't yet mentioned the elephant or the hippopotamus in the room either!

All this could be viewed as farcical but four humans died...

Do you think a GA pilot organisation might ask when the Coroner's Inquiry is going to happen?

Or are we happy that the memory of the 4 pilots is tainted by an inaccurate and incomplete ATSB report?

If you want to talk, PM me and I will call.

Have a good one!
The following users liked this post: