PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra wants more women in Aviation careers
Old 7th Nov 2023, 20:08
framer

Received 495 Likes on 133 Posts
No matter what you think you are worth, you are only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Right now, they don't think you are worth as much as you do.
I agree.
I’m not disagreeing with the concept of basic market forces though. What I am saying is that Airline executives and aircraft manufacturers are concerned that there will be difficulty continuing with the current levels of flying into the medium term future if we don’t retain our current pilot workforce and continue to train pilots at the same rate or faster than we have historically. They are aware that very little training went on during the pandemic and post pandemic the numbers of pilots training hasn’t bounced back as quick s air travel itself. Pilots are becoming less inclined to remain in the industry as the salaries on offer effectively get lower and lower ( buying power reducing with inflation and raises not keeping up with the neighbours). All I am saying is that a solution to the problem the executives are facing doesn’t just have to be increasing salaries like is happening in the USA, a solution can involve reducing the cost to the pilots that the Airline lifestyle imposes on them. ie temporal flexibility. The added bonus for the executives is that it will make the career much more attractive to approximately 50% of the population thus addressing their concerns about numbers of candidates.
​​​​​​​Ultimately, you are still being recompensed for those "costs" to a greater degree than most who also bear them.
There is no sense in comparing the costs, risks, investments and responsibilities of pilots to other professions when discussing the future of pilots contracts. The only motivation for that is emotional. Nobody outside of China or North Korea would compare the compensation of a construction site foreman with the cleaner so why would we be doing that here? Pilots contracts have a different balance of these things than other professions and will therefore have different reimbursement levels. My position is that the Airline executives can ensure enough pilots into the future one of three ways, 1/ increasing salaries massively 2/ Improving lifestyle, or 3/ a combination of 1 & 2.
​​​​​​​Paying you how much more makes it ok to not be able to coach your kid's footy team, or miss birthdays?
Approximately 30% more. Otherwise I will sell an asset I was planning on holding well into my retirement and retire early and leave a bit less to my children. Many others at my stage are thinking along similar lines
The following 2 users liked this post by framer: