PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows - toxic culture
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2023, 16:49
Flipster130

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe its is down to the quality of the Leader. I was once lucky enough to enjoy a day flying with the Reds. This included 2 back-seat sorties which remain, to this day, the most amazing times I've ever had with my clothes on! The Reds' Leader at that time exuded professionalism in everything he said and did and what he did, the team emulated. The whole unit (bar none) was utterly top-class without a hint of superiority to me, a lowly Bulldog QFI and ex-truckie (chopped at TWU). Post-flight, the openness and honesty of both debriefs was jaw dropping, where the team and their Leader almost seemed have an indecent haste to fess-up for minor indiscretions and slips, with not an ounce of elitism or complacency. I am sure it was no co-incidence that, at the time, the Reds had recently regained the reputation for being one of the world's best and most respected aerobatic teams - this was after having spent a few years in the 'relegation zone' of the international premier league of such teams.

Many years later, I found myself working for the same ex Red Leader, where again, he led by example and the unit he was now commanding was working hard to rid itself of a less-than-professional reputation (from before he had arrived as the boss). Whilst he was a prickly character at first and uncomfortable to work for (because he demanded so much of his team and didn't suffer fools). But he never asked you to do anything he wasn't prepared to do himself and he was the hardest worker on that unit, as well as being the most honest and self-effacing of characters (pretty rare for any pilot, never mind a FJ one and Red Leader to boot) - the term 'speak softly but carry a big stick' comes to mind. As mutual respect and understanding grew, I found he became one of only 2 leaders I that have had in my whole aviation career for whom I would have walked barefoot over coals. I sincerely doubt that this 'Red One' would have stood for such a skewed culture that seems to have existed in the Reds of late.

Of those other Reds who in post whilst this culture was turning sour (the by-standers), then I would like think that they learned a valuable lesson in 'how not to do it' and why it is so easy to say nothing when the alarm bells are going off. We should perhaps have some sympathy with them - mainly because we weren't there and secondly because its a very difficult (and often risky) thing to do to tell 'the Emperor' that his tackle is showing to all and sundry as he struts around the town in his 'fine suit'. The few who remain with the Reds may become better people for it - I hope so because there is a fair chance one of them will end up as Red Leader themselves, if the RAF can afford such a unit going forward.
The following 4 users liked this post by Flipster130: