PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC glider solos
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2023, 08:38
Frelon

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
615 Gliding School RAF Kenley

Until about 1977 when some major changes to airspace were introduced, it would have been possible to fly VFR as high as 5000ft amsl overhead Kenley.
I was a Staff Cadet and then an instructor at Kenley from 1960 and remember flying a Sedbergh (rarely called a T21 by the Air Cadets) at 4500' feet over Croydon airport havng been launched from Kenley. My passenger was Chief Tech Tom Clinton who was in charge of our MT Servicing at RAF Biggin Hill. He had become bored with quiet weekends in the Sergeants' Mess at BH so somehow managed to get attached to 615 as a supernumary, very useful to have our own personal MT support person on-site!

It was rather a strange (and unusual) feeling being so far above the sights of London, I remember seeing a VC10 below us on it's way into Heathrow! With 20/20 hindsight it was probably a good (and safe) idea to introduce the height restriction for Kenley!

On the rare occasions when we were on the rota to have the Swallow and trailer we decided to make good use of it and carry out instructor flying mid week. I successfully managed my Silver C distance flight by flying between the London and Gatwick zones down to Lasham.

Great picture Dave, brought back so many memories.