PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra wants more women in Aviation careers
Old 7th Nov 2023, 03:40
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only a pilot's problem

Much of this regards the piloting profession.

Try being a mechanic. In the US, three years of attending an approved school, and you get your licenses. You look for a job. Happy days, Biggie Airlines is hiring. You join up, become a union member and – find out what seniority means. It means you end on Midnight Shift, Tuesday and Wednesday off. You get set for a vacation – Seniority Uber Alles – hope you like your October vacation because seniors (time with company) get first picks. Did I mention working outdoors in al weather?

An established station with its long-time mechanics means 10 to 12 years to make Swing Shift (afternoons) and you are still low on the vacation pick.

At one station I managed (later in my career), the junior person on Day Shift had 18 years of seniority. And Tuesday and Wednesday off. Of course, you might go to the Main Base and work inside a hangar. Unless you get bumped in a layoff and, having enough seniority, bump another mechanic at a distant station.

Yes, I did put in 12 years climbing ladders, twisting safety wire and tasting glycol while deicing before I got a job in training. Promotions followed but try being maintenance Manager at a line station where you are really on 24/7 duty and have to take responsibility to the VP for the acts of your worst employee.

Oh, and mechanic’s pay. Not substantially above a cleaner of baggage handlers who do work hard, BUT, do not have the responsibility of signing Airworthiness Releases. The FAA (USA) pays a lot more attention to your work than to those other folks. I have my FAA Charles Taylor Award for 53 years in maintenance without a black mark. It was an interesting career but how many could put up with those Christmas Days when I had to go to work?