PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2023, 16:35
SotonFlightpath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an airport user point-of-view, it's such a shame that we no longer have the frequency of flights we once had, it was just so convenient - like having a smaller version of London City on my doorstep. It was great being able to just pop-up to Manchester for a half-day's business, Newcastle, Dublin, Glasgow Edinburgh for the day, Dusseldorf for the exhibition centre when my clients were exhibiting there, multiple times daily to Amsterdam, again ideal for exhibitions and conferences. Even to Skiathos on one occasion which was so convenient to visit my Villa in nearby Alonissos!

I don't use the airport much these days, some of the routes are no longer operated, and those that still do are often at inconvenient times or with very limited numbers of flights, precluding useful out and back in day opportunities.

It's not the airport's fault, but the loss of Flybe was such a game-changer. From a business point-of-view, a Blue Islands base of three or four aircraft operating multiple times daily to the main business centres, plus some leisure flying at the weekend is what i would love to see, but I'm not daft and I realise that probably the market has moved on. Business travel is much reduced and those who do still fly have found other, but less convenient options elsewhere and it would be a herculean task to win them back and would need an enormous publicity and advertising push.

I guess the airport will hopefully be able to reinvent itself as a regional low-cost option, but how I long for the days when it was my local 'London City.'