PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows - toxic culture
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2023, 12:26
Ohrly

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by typerated
The RAF is not in the business of airshow attendance or showing off it's history.
Disband the RAFAT as the personnel are desperately needed elsewhere . Although perhaps convert to training Ukrainian Pilots?
BBMF well there are plenty of Spitfires and Hurricanes in civilian hands that the public can easily see so no need for the RAF to maintain a fleet.
The Lanc is a bit more tricky but I'd explore putting it in a partnership with civilian ownership.

To aid recruiting I'd dedicate a Puma (or other helicopter but the Puma is the perfect size) to fly to 3 or 4 high schools every school day and give a short talk on the Air Force and fly the top physics pupils on a short hop.
I'd put money it would have far more effect on recruiting than the RAFAT but also pull in just the caliber of People the RAF needs - also at a fraction of the cost of the RAFAT.
I can state categorically that when a big fat helicopter flew over our school no one was paying attention. When a fast jet did a roll over the playing field everyone rushed to the windows to have a look.
The following users liked this post: