PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Data infrastructure in my new house
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2023, 18:51
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 280 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
It's on 3 floors with floor/ceiling slabs of reinforced concrete.
Makes perfect sense then to have a WAP per floor, each on a different non-overlapping channel, given the material and the height involved. You could run the cable to your workshop in a metal conduit which should reduce / eliminate any EMI, as well as physically protect the cable.

Originally Posted by double_barrel
I don't know how easy it is to arrange those access points so that client devices can seamlessly hop between them depending on signal strength and with a common SSID/password. How is that managed? I imagine it’s more than just setting up normal independent access points? I must need a single device issuing IPs though any of them so devices appear on the same network?
Just leave roaming between access points to the WIFI adapter in the client. They should detect when they need to hop to a stronger signal channel with the same SSID, and this should be seamless as far as the end user is concerned.

As I suggested, configure the central internet modem / router to manage DHCP for the whole network with the WAPs in bridge mode.