PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC glider solos
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2023, 13:11
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
I was lucky with Kenley (still going 615) being my local 'school' and can remember being quite shocked when we lost Tangmere, Manston, West Malling, Old Sarum, Weston, in a seemingly downward spiral. What we never lost was the legacy of being the best World Class basic training operation in the world (run by volunteers). Never to be repeated or improved upon. Not to mention those NAFFI pies at the winch end.
Kenley is now the ONLY school/VGS/Sqdn still operating in the south east of England; the others are all gone:
612: Originally formed at White Waltham as HQAC Glider Flight before HQAC moved to Brampton in about '71; spent a short while as a detached flight of 613 (Halton) and moved to Benson shortly before being assigned its number. When Abingdon closed, the UAS and AEF moved to Benson displacing 612 to Halton for about 2 years thence to Abingdon until it was disbanded 2016.
613: Based at Halton from the '40s and operated the aforementioned D/F at White Waltham along with occasional detachments to Bovingdon where I got my 'C' cert; operated alongside 612 before that school moved to Abingdon and then disbanded in 2016.
614: Wethersfield. Disbanded.
615: Operating again as normal.
616: Based at Henlow; disbanded 2016.
617: Originally based at Hendon. When this airfield closed, moved to Bovingdon and when that airfield closed, moved to Manston. Disbanded 2016.
618: West Malling. When that airfield closed a few abortive tries were made at re-establishing it at local civilian airfelds notably Challock but then moved to Odiham. Disbanded 2016.
623: Tangmere. Originally based at White Waltham but disbanded in 1960. Resurrected at Tangmere in 1963. Appears to have ceased operations in 1975.
By no means an exhaustive list; many VGS disbanded in the south east hence a massive 'hole' in potential catchment areas as well as a loss of all that knowledge and experience.
Others I know about:
622: I believe this Sqdn is operating once again at Upavon.
637: In the mid '60s we at Halton were offered the chance to help form a new GS at Gaydon and when that airfield closed 637 moved to Little Rissington which by this time was Army. Billeted at South Cerney for accomodation and messing but did not operate with the resident 621 VGS. Now re-formed at Little Rissington and operating alongside 625(?) which was displaced when Hullavington closed.
Having been a Staff Cadet/G1 grade pilot (P2 at it used to be), I was appointed WGLO between Herts & Bucks Wing ATC at 612 VGS, then took over responsibilites for 613 and for a short time for 616.
Any corrections/amendments please feel free.

Last edited by chevvron; 6th Nov 2023 at 11:58.