PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK unveils new next generation fighter jet, the 'Tempest'
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 20:08
Commando Cody

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by henra
Because France seems to be not sticking to the agreement. In le Bourget they openly announced developing Combat Cloud and Unmanned systems (which is the Airbus Part of FCAS) in parallel. So not only taking the manned Fighterjet Part (which was agreed after some hardball play by French Industry and Government) but now also developing the rest of FCAS for themselves. And in case of the tank they are currently on the move out. So only wanting Money from Germany (and Spain) for their development of the Fighterjet part but not buying the Airbus Elements of FCAS nor buying the Tank.
I'm not sure in the longer term they are doing themselves really a favor. I can't see anyone joining any future French Arms Joint Venture in the foreseeable future looking at how they are trying to rip off their partners.
One might also look at previous joint projects fixed and rotary winged with France and see parallels. The French have a history of starting out they want to be collaborative, but then demanding control and the largest share, if not all, of production. If they enter into a "You buy mine and I'll by yours" they then don't follow through on all the "I'll buy yours" part.

Last edited by Commando Cody; 3rd Nov 2023 at 22:24.
The following users liked this post: