PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 16:01
willy wombat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
I've done a day trip in the past purely by train from Surrey via Waterloo and King's Cross to Edinburgh and back... Thameslink makes it relatively easy from Sussex. To those who dislike the train times... remember that 4+ hours on the train between London and Edinburgh can be filled with a long snooze to catch up on sleep, much like many of the pax on 6 am flights fall asleep the moment the aircraft doors are closed.

Monday 06 November
Gatwick dep 0421, St Pancras arr 0515
King's Cross dep 0548 Edinburgh Waverley arr 1008

Edinburgh Waverley dep 1730, King's Cross arr 2208
St Pancras dep 2220 Gatwick 2307

There are 2 later trains from Edinburgh to King's Cross at 1830 and 1930 respectively (and yes, there are onward connections from St Pancras to Sussex), in case you want to spend longer in Edinburgh and meetings run later than expected.
l commend you for taking up the challenge. However on my normal schedule I leave Gatwick at 0815 arrive EDI 0945. As I’m not travelling to central Edinburgh arriving at Waverley gives me little advantage. I then leave EDI at 1900, arrive LGW at 2030 and home by 2130. I think the plane is a no brainer..I also think we’ve probably hijacked the SOU thread quite enough!