PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaza Air War
Thread: Gaza Air War
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 12:58
Lonewolf_50

Received 460 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by PukinDog
There's only one way to find out, but it'll have to be a fancy drone carrier battle group in order to keep it Air War-related.
You don't necessarily need a carrier to launch and recover drones/UAVs. (As but one example, see the USN's MQ8 Fire Scout).
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"A large share of the blame for what is now happening in the Middle East as a whole results from political decisions made by poorly educated European politicians over a century ago,"

I think they were pretty well educated TBH - but they were trying to make sense out of the collapse of the Turkish Empire - and, of course, to push their own national agendas. I don't think anyone wanted a large, dominating leadership in the area to replace the Turks. And the individual local groups - Egyptians, Lebanese, Palestinians, Arabs, etc etc all wanted a piece of the cake for themselves. This was the time when Europe was also split into fragments of the Austro-Hungarian and Turkish Empires - with the Balkans mess still a headache even now.

The issue in both areas is that over several millennia different ethnic and religious groups are intermingled on the ground - and if they can't get on with each other (Ulster anyone?) then mayhem ensues.
"golf clap"
Originally Posted by sfm818
Can we trust IDF spokespersons who control the narrative to be a reliable source of information.
Spoiler

Interesting points (I added the spoiler to avoid visual clutter) but I'll remind you that Reagan got mixed up in Lebanon, which was a direct result of the Israeli operations against Palestinian refugees in Southern Lebanon, and the suicide truck bomb killed over 200 US Marines, and another one killed over 50 French troops.
I got to float around the Eastern Med for a while (as our ship awaited calls for naval gunfire support) during that period. A friend of mine (USMC, Phrog pilot) had an RPG go through his aircraft without exploding.
Reagan didn't quite avoid getting involved.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 3rd Nov 2023 at 15:38.