PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joyce ‘retires’ early 👍
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 04:54
Gne

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not a pilot but over the years I've spent many hours (pre 9/11) riding on jump seats and I guess nothing much has changed: On short haul, there's plenty to do and the non operational chatter is almost non existent but on long haul there is plenty of time for gripes and discussion about matters of relevance to the pilots but not directly related to the task at hand.

Had a seven and a half hour flight yesterday on a QF jet. Sitting in my narrow Y class seat because I chose the extra leg room of a bulkhead rather than easy access to the "entertainment" I pondered the posts above I'd read in the lounge prior to departure and in the preceding weeks, presumably many of which were from pilots of the said airline. What discussion was in progress up front as we cruised over Ayres Rock? And more importantly, how quickly could the crew drop that and react to problem with the aircraft? Pretty promptly I guess, from experience but...

Does the QF SMS include the very current risk of these discussions having a negative impact on operational capability and flight safety and has CAsA considered this in their role as the safety oversight regulator?

I was once asked how effective I considered a national safety oversight regulator (not CAsA in that case but I'm starting to think it now applies to CAsA). I responded at the time, "About as effective as a perished rubber band around a 2" fire hose just before the water is turned on."

Gne