PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway incursion at Sunshine Coast
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2023, 04:10
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
The pilot was familiar with the runway configurations at Sunshine Coast Airport having flown to the airport previously. However, having never used taxiway Foxtrot...
Originally Posted by Cameron
so it sounds to me like you really need to do your research before flying in to some of these places
The fact that they hadn't used F before is irrelevant. They obviously knew where the F holding point was because they taxied there, and held there, as instructed. The problem was when ATC threw a spanner in the works with "remain clear of 31". For example, having held at a HP, do we get a clearance/instruction later cross it when going someplace else such as lining up or crossing a runway? No. We just do what we're told. In this case, Bloggs, who was already stopped holding at the F HP, was told to remain clear of 31. "OK, I'll do that", they think. "Since I'm departing off 31, I'll move forward towards 31". 132 hours, still a student, combined with an ambiguous call from ATC = result.

I doubt Bloggs would have thought of the 31 scenario he was put in: holding at an HP and then being told to "hold short". I certainly wouldn't have. But hopefully, I would have said "err, der, I already am holding short, please explain what you meant". ​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Nomorecatering
​​​​​​​Why on earth don't we have the same markings as the USA and increasingly europe?
ICAO markings are used here, are they not? Curiously, those red boxes are called "Mandatory instruction markings" but the MOS says "may" and "should" regarding their use.

There is no need for the CASA chart/diagram to even exist IMO. It shows nothing extra compared to the ERSA diagram and is simply another pathway to incorrect information when not maintained/updated.
The following users liked this post: