PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO Threatens Capt. With Gun
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2023, 00:23
anxiao

Received 50 Likes on 11 Posts
In the days when pilots were hired from the military or from other airlines, one of the jobs of the Chief Pilot was to ring around squadrons and other chief pilots to get a rough idea of who had applied to his new airline. For some reason (Ha!) this became illegal in some countries and was frowned upon in many more.

In an airline in Asia with which I was familiar the above was the process for many years. The CP who was responsible for recruitment had already a pretty good idea of the abilities, both mental and flying skills of people who applied. At the airline a simple interview, sim check and medical, and if all good, the person was hired.

Then one day the director of Human Resources (sic) told the director of Flight Operations that from now on, "He would decide who was recruited and fired from the airline." The Sim check was reduced to, I believe, 15% of the scoring for interview, and psychometrics became the method of scoring for a pass to employment.

In the ensuing three years the airline recruited a section of society who in my personal opinion should not have been holding an ATPL. As one First Officer pointed out when showing me a roster and pointing at certain new names, "Do you know this guy?' I did not. After a few of these he informed me that in their country of origin they were un-employable as pilots, and due to their issues were known nation-wide in that country as incompetent. These three years of HR recruited pilots moved through the airline like a pig in a snake, and caused training disruptions at every stage of their advancement. Flight Operations took back control after a new CEO was appointed, and things got better.

I believe that the recruitment program to ensure that a pilot has ample flying skills and sound mind is broken. The pressure to put a warm body into a flight deck who will fly for food reduces the chances that the pilot will be of a satisfactory level of competence and ability. FAA/ICAO minimum standards are not sufficient to operate in today's environment.

But what do I know after 40 years in airlines...

Last edited by anxiao; 2nd Nov 2023 at 16:50.