PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tui runway excursion at Leeds Bradford 20/10/23
Old 1st Nov 2023, 21:26
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
To reply to EmmaMac and her query regarding the ramifications to the two pilots involved.

Putting aside for a moment this particular incident, it very much depends upon the culture of the airline involved. There is an old adage of ‘guilty until proved innocent’ in the airline industry and it is common practice to suspend pilots whilst enquiries are made and interviews carried out. When pilots simply get caught out by a combination of circumstances, they will be back on line pretty quickly with maybe a quick session in the sim. If it is a matter of flagrant abuse of rules then things become more difficult with possible disciplinary proceedings at which point Union/Legal representation may be required. Obviously there are myriad situations between these two quoted examples. I once worked for an airline which had a very robust safety culture bordering on fear which after a merger became more relaxed and more productive for management and pilots alike.

Anyone who has operated into LBA will know that weather conditions can make it one of the more challenging airfields in the UK. Other than what I have read elsewhere regarding the weather on the day, I have no idea as to the exact circumstances and as such I will not speculate as to the cause of the incident.

Last edited by beamer; 2nd Nov 2023 at 16:45.