PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 16:19
Felix Lighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO most emergencies/frights in helos happen so quickly that you only have time to be scared to death after the event........nr misses, nr wirestrikes etc.

I had jammed T/R pedals at the end of a flying display and even that didnt worry me 'til afterwards (I was too busy trying to afford a static display C130)

Scariest moment unsurprisingly was the one that took the longest to recover from:

2500ft AGL, NE Bosnia, Serbian search radar sweeping us...... the firecontrol radar then locked us up, code 'SA2' with associated waring bells and whistles.
Suddenly 2500ft was way too high and despite pumping out chaff through the null (every 180deg) we only broke lock for .5sec or so.
Odds were that they were very unlikely to launch at us..... just trying to p!ss us off, but for 45secs it was like someone holding a loaded gun to your head.

Concur with SASless.......having watched my T/R, vertical fin and about 3 feet of tail-boom pass in front of me I remember thinking "******".
Somehow like a car crash you always think you'll get away without too much damage..........Never the case in reality!

Last edited by Felix Lighter; 23rd Jan 2004 at 16:32.