PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone recommend an Independent Financial Advisor?
Old 1st Nov 2023, 10:35
Tartiflette Fan

Received 287 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by downsizer
Is it worth employing an IFA.....I have cash sitting around not doing much and I'm thinking of investing it....what do I get that I have to pay someone for that I couldn't suss out myself?
You can of course try, but chances of success ? I have been seriously interested in financial matters for 25 years, but have no better than a reasonable return on investment. Simply because of natural inclination, I , for example, have never had the slightest interest in bonds and know nothing, but undoubtedly ( now for instance ? ) these may have been the best choice. This is one area where i find that, for me, the Net has seriously worsened the flow of information: I used to subscribe for many years to a since defunct magazine which published topical articles every month and had an absolutely superb set of tables with 10 years of data of all Investment trusts and other funds: if interested in UK Smaller Cos, I could have all the relevant data in front of me in 20 seconds. Now, with the Net, this would take hours and I know of no site that would allow me to compile it in an easy-to-read format.

EDIT: I did use an IFA for several years but was deeply unimpressed by his performance. There is one major change just being introduced this/next month and that is IFA's will have to show (in some way ) that you are receiving and benefitting from their advice: it should no longer be possible to pull in their 1% or 2% in exchange for a generic quarterly newsletter.

Last edited by Tartiflette Fan; 1st Nov 2023 at 14:55.
The following users liked this post: